Global Assessment on the Current State of Organizational Excellence
On March 31, 2015, the Organizational Excellence Technical Committee QMD, ASQ (OETC) launched the ‘first global assessment on the current state of organizational excellence. This research was supported by the Global Benchmarking Network, International Academy for Quality and ISO Technical Committee 176 and voluntarily led by Organizational Excellence Specialists (OES). The project was intended to provide data on the extent to which organizations are characterized by the principles and have deployed the best management practices of high performing organizations that are found in excellence models (e.g. EFQM, Baldrige, Canadian Framework for Excellence, Australian Business Excellence Framework).
Since 1990, global research has validated the positive relationship between implementing an excellence model and developing a culture committed to excellence and improving organizational performance. Much of this research has focused on the organizations that have successfully applied an excellence model. This particular research project has been more robust in that it has gathered data from a more varied population:
- Leadership, management and staff roles (up to three people per organization)
- Different size organizations (micro, small, medium, large)
- Different types of organizations (government, business, non-profit)
- Countries across 7 regions (World Bank Analytical Grouping)
- 21 industry sectors and related sub-sectors (International Standard Industrial Classification)
- Professionals with varying levels of awareness about excellence models
With 1,963 respondents, the aggregate findings have now provided a snapshot on the current state of organizational excellence around the world by organization role, size, industry sector, and region.
After the inaugural report was published in 2019, a decision was made to continue the study with the blessing of the OETC and the enduring volunteer effort at OES. This study intention has remained the same – delivering a Global OE Index that will provide value for the excellence community in general and for the working population at large:
- Uniting the excellence profession on a common project
- Encouraging organizations to start or continue their excellence journey, using an excellence model
- Providing dashboard results to show aggregate ratings on principles and best management practices by organization size, industry sector and geographical region
- Sharing aggregate results on the OETC Linkedin site and this webpage
- Encouraging organizations to see how they measure up and compare with others
- Encouraging organizations with higher ratings to apply for recognition with award programs
- Envisioning that organizations improving their performance will make a positive contribution to a local economy, trade and resident quality of life
- Enabling all countries to participate, in a more competitive and sustainable way in the global economy
- Making the world a better place for future generations
To provide consistency, the same assessment tool has been used over time. The tool is based on the Organizational Excellence Framework publication (© Dawn Ringrose & Associates Inc, 2010). The publication ‘integrates the leading global excellence models’ that define the principles and best management practices of high performing organizations and is unique in that it ‘provides implementation guidelines’ for the user. The publication is available for download at no charge at https://organizationalexcellencespecialists.ca/ and a high level version of the assessment tool is found in Appendix 3 of the publication.
The assessment tool resides on the SurveyMonkey platform and there are three assessments for respondents to choose from:
- The Teaser Assessment on the principles takes 5 minutes to complete https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/OEF-TEASER
- The Full Assessment for micro-size organizations (1-25 employees) on the principles and best management practices takes 15 minutes to complete https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/OEF-FULL-MICRO
- The Full Assessment for larger size organizations (26+ employees) on the principles and best management practices takes 30 minutes to complete https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/OEF-FULL-SML
The Assessment tool is available in English and four other languages. Please click here for the language options.
It is important to note:
- Respondents completing the Full Assessment can use Appendix 3 of the publication to keep track of their ratings so they can compare with the aggregate data
- Individual organization data will continue to be held in strict confidence and only aggregate data will be reported
Participate in the Global OE Index Today !
For more information on the Global OE Index, please contact Dawn Ringrose, Principal, Organizational Excellence Specialists Inc at firstname.lastname@example.org